Search This Blog

Friday, December 18, 2009

Delayed reaction to Christmas

OK... from what I am reading on other blogs dealing with infertility I think I had a delayed reaction to what Christmas means to those who can't have children. Some people who are only on year two of this are in far worse of a place than I was at that point. That could be because at that point not only was I young, but we had very little money, so while not getting pregnant was painful I was almost of the mind frame that God did not intend for this to happen for us right now. Not to mention every time I mentioned it to my husband he'd blow it off. To him it was a we can't do anything about it right now why even discuss it thing. THAT has TOTALLY changed. THANK GOD!!!

  We'd spend Christmas with my parents and watch my younger cousins and neices open presents. We never received any because only children got presents.  This really should be no big deal because Christmas should be all about giving, but we have no children and while we love our neices, nephews and numerous cousins watching kids that are not yours open presents can only be so fun for so long after so many years. My parents would make us attend saying "Its all about the Children." I'd agree and feel guilty that I was upset about not getting anything. I'd feel selfish. 

Then came the year that my cousin who is ten years older than me, met her husband a year after I got married, married him a year after that,  got pregnant immediatly showed up with her new baby in tow. The baby of course was the highlight of the Christmas and rightfully so, but I think for the FIRST time ever I had a strong emotional reaction to somone else having children and not me. I was surprised by it. I had to run out of the room praying to God that no one saw me crying. My Sister-In-Law I think was waiting for me to break down or could see it in my face because she chased me to the bathroom saying, "You can adopt."  I went back in to the room later hoping no one noticed, and I don't think they did.  I remember feeling incredibly guilty.  I hated that.

Now, fast forward to this year... 3 years later after that incident. I thought time would make it easier, but it hasn't.  In years past we have done Angel Adoptions and bought gifts for children, just to be able to buy gifts for a child. I'm certain this year we will do the same, However, this year I would LOVE to skip Christmas. I would like to stay at my house and just be with my husband and puppies. WHY??? Well.... My pregnant Sister-in-Law and another pregant person will be there.  At this time I don't care to be around it.  I may feel different the day of Christmas, but I just don't care to hear all the pregnancy details. The only reason I am going is to keep My Mother-In-Law from disowning my husband. 

I have a doctor's appointment on the 23rd and for the FIRST time through all of this I am going to ask my doctor for some anxiety medicine. Even if I need it to survive Christmas I don't care. Unfortunantley this is a situation I can not remove myself from unlike a baby shower (where I can walk out or go to the bathroom if I get upset). This siutation I'm stuck in a house full of people.  While some people can make it through this on prayer alone and I can't tell you how much I admire that and am in awe of some people's strength.
 I can't. Not this year.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to skip Christmas this year too. I am just not in a celebratory mood. I hope you find some joy and balance this holiday to get you through.

J said...

I'm so sorry. My heart aches for you and I got teary eyed thinking about you having to see a bunch of preggos on Christmas. I wish you could just ditch Christmas this year. May 2010 bring you 10 tiny fingers and 10 tiny toes!

Unknown said...

I am joining Baby Wanted and wishing you a small bundle of joy in 2010, and a lot of inner peace.

TwoDogMama said...

I come from ICLW and I totally agree with you and Rain Child. In fact I just finished a blog post on canceling Christmas (of course my husband does not agree). I too keep it together for my family and even with anti-anxiety meds still have trouble dealing with it all. I wish you the best and please know you are not alone.

Wifey said...

I am visiting from ICLW. I just wanted you to that I've been in similar shoes. Last Christmas, my stepbrother and his pregnant after one try wife came up to visit. It was really hard, as we had already spent over a year TTC. I hope you get a happy 2010 blessing!

ICLW

Anonymous said...

As a veteran of many difficult Christmases, there is nothing wrong at all about admitting you're having a difficult time. You need to be honest about it instead of stuffing down your feelings. I'm not going to wish you a child, I'm going to wish you peace of mind this Christmas season.

ICLW

Unknown said...

you are not alone hun, i know it doesnt seem like it because i have kids, but this year has been so hard for me in the baby department. my last pregnancy gave me an angel baby at 22 weeks, all i seem to think is that idont want to celebrate or be a part of my new nieces first christmas because i dont want anyone to know the pain i have inside.

i wish you can get the anxiety medicine soon, it has helped me a lot, 25mg of seroquel worked wonders for me!!!!

(i have donned myself the virtual brownie girl, lol)
i am sending you a virtual batch of triple chocolate chip brownies and some strawberries to make you smaile ;)

ICLW hugs!!!

Half of a Duo, Raising a Duo said...

ICLW sweetie!

I didn't even watch tv or listen to the radio during the holidays when I was childless.

That's the bottom line.

I was in agony.

Instead of the hols being about Christ... it has become about kids and toys.

So why bother?

I went to church and prayed to Him, this barren woman totally unable to have children in ANY manner, longing for DECADES to become a mother... prayed for a miracle.

My miracles are my twin sons, now 21 mos old as I steam towards 48 years old.

An exercise in patience and faith.

ASP said...

I feel your pain, Girlfriend. I would love to skip Christmas this year too. It just gets harder and harder as the years go by and still.no.baby. It sucks. We're pursuing adoption now and hoping that 2010's Christmas we'll be blessed with a little one.

Be well, and remember, you're not alone.

Amber
ICLW

StacyandChad said...

I totally understand where you're coming from! Hope 2010 brings you lots of peace!

ICLW

Alana said...

Wishing you a peaceful heart this holiday season. SO sorry you'll be around PG women and unable to "escape" if needed.

--ICLW