Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Desperation

   OK, I've never been accussed of not being outspoken, and odviously I have my opinions on certain things in life especially when I've gone through them myself.  I tend to get super outspoken when somone makes a mockery of what I've gone through or will be going through. This post is about a woman my age who CHOSE to have her embryos frozen for later on in life so she can afford to have children. Now, she chose to do this. Its her choice, her money etc. Come what may, she might possibly have children from this expensive procedure. Its  not so much she did this as much as it is the word choice she used about infertile women having IVF. She referred to it as "Desperation IVF." CHOKE, GASP, SCREAM, YELL!!  Ay YI YI... could this woman not be MORE uninformed. Then she goes off to spout all sorts of "factoids" etc. All the while trying to make herself sound like some sort of "fertile hero." 

FIRST and FOREMOST I, nor any other woman who needs fertility treatments is DESPERATE!!! We, desperatly want a child, but we are not desperate people.  Heartbroken, sad, confused, forgotten and living on hope through medical procedures is what we are, but to falsify and say we are desperate is a huge insult. Its as if we CHOSE this. Her cost of 71,000 (cough cough) for IVF is wrong. I don't know where she pulled that FROM.  Also, IVF isn't JUST needed because of age. Some of us are blessed to have Severe Male Factor Infertility making this our only option for a biological child.

So, if you can read this article without flames coming out your ears I encourage you to do so and make a comment to correct her. She is flamboyant in her attitude, so say what you wish.

2 comments:

Christa said...

Wow, I'm at a loss for words. This woman clearly doesn't know what infertility is like. The word "desperate" should never be used like that.

ICLW

christine said...

I posted on your most recent post, but I did go visit the link to the article and I am horrified that this is out there in print. I am 24 years old and my husband and I are heading into our 20th month of unsuccessful trying. He has male factor infertility and we are not doing "Desperation IVF". She had an incredibly pompous attitude about her age and supposed fertility. I hate that there are articles out there making it seem like the only people doing IVF are 40 something year olds who "chose" to wait. Gah! Thanks for posting the link...I like being informed of what's out there.