Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

NIAW Mythbusting....

This is National Infertility Awareness Week (click the link to read the history) and our goal is to write a blog to bust a myth about infertility.  After eight years I have heard them all. Hold your legs up, just relax, adopt then you'll get pregnant. You know.. the usual idiotic statements. Here is my current myth.

JUST BECAUSE MY TWIN SISTER IS PREGNANT DOES NOT MEAN I WILL AUTOMATICALLY GET PREGNANT TOO!! I am NOT next so PLEASE stop telling me that. That doesn't give me hope it rubs salt in the wound. Thank. you. very. much!!!!

We've tried for almost eight years now. Its been hell. My sister tires once (ONCE people) and got pregnant!!! So, really do you think its now going to automatically work for me?? If it wasn't so painful I'd be laughing my butt off. So, no pregnancy is not genetic, and this is something people should have learned back in Junior High.

I am having a very difficult time dealing with the fact shes been married one year and got pregnant as soon as she wanted. That is now a foreign concept to me. So, no I won't get pregnant just because my twin sister is.

So.. to that bitter announcement. Infertility does not become easier to deal with through the years as many think it does. It becomes more real as we see others who can go on with their lives and have their families. We are taught that if you want something bad enough all you have to do is work hard for it... houses, cars, jobs, education.  That's not true of infertility especially if you have no insurance coverage for it or can't afford the thousands of dollars out of pocket. Its almost like your stuck in a perpetual limbo. Your life can't go forward and your life plan has to change from what you thought it would be. This is an unchosen path much like the death of a loved one.  Its difficult to see others who can afford these treatments or adoption become  able to resolve their issues. So nothing gets resolved.

Click here to see Infertlity 101 from Resolve.

1 comment:

Krissi McVicker said...

I just wanted to say that I have been there. I needed 6 IVF cycles to have my family. My twin sister did not need ANY help at all. She got easily pregnant TWICE--so easily in fact that it happened the very first month just the way she planned it!!! So...that being said, I've been there and it is quite hard because she and I shared so much while growing up besides our fertility. And that is a very painful reality that will always seperate who we are.