Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

Ignorance

I know there is a lot of ignorance towards infertility. Most people don't "get it." However, I did not realize the ignorance towards adoption.  I was sitting with a group of people the other day and someone made a comment that they had 3 boys and were not having anymore(due to having a tubal ligation) because she wouldn't spend the 10,000 to reverse it. I don't blame her, but its what she said afterwards and people's responses to it that made me realize most don't get adoption either.   She said "I'll just go to China and get myself a little girl." Now, I'm fully aware she was probably joking. I asked her if she had $27,000? Then another lady piped up and said, "I thought it was $5000."  WHAT?? 

 Its not like I am looking at China adoption. I'm not. We simply don't qualify.  Neither do MANY others. To many adoption is Black and white. In their eyes it is simple.  Just like infertility, from the outside looking in it looks simple, however both are difficult in their own right from the day you make your decision until the wait after the paperwork.

2 comments:

junebug said...

I have been so annoyed with the ignorance lately. So I have started to be much more vocal about the process and the cost. Even though I have to admit that I feel ignorant about lots of it myself since we haven't actually started the process just inquiry stage so far.
ICLW

Christina said...

This is so true. I have learned so much through a friend who is adopting from Ethiopia. I guess it's just one of those things that people aren't constantly or immediately exposed to (much like IF) so they don't get it.

Sometimes it's so difficult to tolerate other peoples' ignorance but I do try to remember that I was in the same (blissful) stage of ignorance just a few years ago.

Good luck with your journey!

Christina
The Subfertile Frugalista
iclw